Seven dead as protesters loot supermarkets day after Piera suspends price rises that sparked unrest

Protests and violence continued in Chile overnight despite the president cancelling a rise in subway fares that has prompted violent demonstrations.

Officials in the Santiago region said three people had died in fires at two looted supermarkets early on Sunday. Sixty Walmart-owned outlets were vandalised, and the company said many stores did not open during the day. Five more people later were found dead in the basement of a burned warehouse and were not employees, authorities said.

At least two airlines cancelled or rescheduled flights into the capital, affecting more than 1,400 passengers Sunday and Monday.

We are at war with a powerful, relentless enemy that respects nothing or anyone and is willing to use violence and crime without any limits, President Sebastin Piera said on Sunday in an unscheduled speech from the military headquarters.

Demonstrators
Demonstrators run from police firing water cannon and teargas in Santiago on Sunday. Photograph: Esteban Flix/AP

Piera, a billionaire conservative who served as president between 2010 and 2014 before taking office again in March 2018, is facing the worst crisis of his second term.

On Saturday night, he announced he was cancelling a subway fare rise imposed two weeks ago. The fare increase sparked major protests that included rioting that caused millions of dollars in damage to burned buses and vandalised subway stops, office buildings and stores.

After meeting the heads of the legislature and judicial system earlier on Sunday, Piera said they discussed solutions to the crisis and that he aimed to reduce excessive inequalities, inequities abuses, that persist in our society.

Jaime Quintana, the president of the senate, said the political world must take responsibility for how we have come to this situation.

Demonstrators
Demonstrators stand next to a burning barricade as unrest prompted President Pinera to declare a state of emergency. Photograph: Jos Luis Saavedra/Reuters

Authorities said 10,500 soldiers and police officers were patrolling the streets in Santiago as state of emergency and curfew remained in effect for six Chilean cities, but protests continued during the day on Sunday. Security forces used teargas and jets of water to try disperse crowds.

The interior minister, Andrs Chadwick, reported that 62 police officers and 11 civilians were injured in the latest disturbances and prosecutors said nearly 1,500 people had been arrested. He said late on Sunday there had been more than 70 serious events during the day, including more than 40 incidents of looting.

With transportation frozen, Cynthia Cordero said she had walked 20 blocks to reach a pharmacy to buy nappies, only to find it had been burned down. They dont have the right to do this, she said, adding it was right to protest against the abuses, the increases in fares, against bad education and an undignified pension, but not to destroy.

Long queues formed at petrol stations as people tried to fill up for a coming workweek with a public transport system disrupted by the destructive protests. Santiagos subway, which carries an average of 2.4 million passengers on a weekday, had been shut down since Friday.

The Subway system chief, Louis De Grange, said workers would try to have at least one line running Monday, but he said it could take weeks or months to have the four others back in service. He said 85 stations and more than three-quarters of the system had been severely damaged.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/us

 

Recommended For You



Like it? Share with your friends!

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.